Thursday, February 18, 2016

A simple 'Thank You'

My kids never say 'thank you'. Ever.  It makes me a tad crazy.  We do a lot for our kids, every single day.  We do all the little things, to make their life easier.  We help them get out of bed, we help them get dressed, we help them put toothpaste on their toothbrush, we help them get breakfast/snacks/lunch/snacks/dinner, we help them take baths and showers, we help them do their homework, we help them put on their shoes, we help them find things, we help them read books, we help them with every part of their life and I don't think my kids EVER say thank you.

I always make them say 'please' and 'thank you' with strangers and with friends, but why do I never do this with myself. I think the thing that shocks me the most is when they do actually say 'thank you'...why am I so excited when a child finally tells me 'thank you'?  Should I be that excited to hear words that should naturally be said every day?

I have never been bothered by their lack of manners until this morning.  Something happened that burned my ass and I tell you what, it was like a lightbulb went off.  Did either of my kids say thank you for ONE thing I did this morning?  The answer was no.  It was 6:40 in the morning and by this time I had already helped wake them up, helped them get dressed, helped them do their hair and brush their teeth, helped them get their lunches in their backpacks, helped them get their shoes on, and helped them find breakfast. Not one thank you. Not. One.

I went into lecture mode, which means nobody heard a word I said.  It makes me sad how hard I work to make their lives easy and fun and I get nothing in return.  Yes, I have kids that love me and truly need me, but they don't appreciate much.  They aren't thankful for the life they have.  They are never satisfied which makes me think I have done something horribly wrong along the way.

I have led them to believe that they don't need to be thankful. I have led them to believe that they are entitled to this wonderful life they have been given.  I have led them to believe that no matter what they can have and get what they want without having to work hard and be appreciative.

Something has got to change. As a teacher I see this every second of everyday.  I see kids that believe they don't have to work hard to get the things that they want.  I see kids given everything hand over foot with no care in the world as to how hard someone has worked to make sure that they are blessed with a great life. I see kids feeling entitled to get things that they did nothing to earn.

I don't want my kids to be those kids.  I want my kids to be thankful, appreciative, and kind.  And right now, they are not.

2 comments:

  1. I like this post.....true. But, sometimes the thanks comes in a very different form, and I know you know that....Isaac holding my hand in his highschool hallway and telling me he didn't care what other kids thought...I was his mom. And Esther when I told her I didn't like that Celine Dion song, You Were My Strength, because I thought she sounded dependent and needy...Esther said, "Oh. I always think of you when I hear it." Heart stopping. And when they share the most intimate, personal, embarrassing things, even infinitesimal things they are saying they know they can trust you and trust you to care. It warms my heart. Watch for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true! I see a lot of those little signs that show they trust me and know that I'm always there. Thank you for reminding me! --whit

    ReplyDelete